Monday, April 6, 2015

Dash Speakers

I received my speakers today.  I had done some research and most research suggested that I don't replace the dash speakers or replace them with a component setup with the mids in the door and tweeters in the dash.  I decided to simply replace the 4"x 6" dash speakers with 4" JL Audio TR400-CXi speakers rather than take the extra step of installing crossovers, etc.

I ordered them from Crutchfield although they do not list a dash speaker for the S10, I called them, and it is because they do not provide speakers that fit without modifications.  I did some measurements and felt that the TR400's would be the best fit.

I had the windshield out anyway since the cab was repainted so doing this was actually pretty easy.

I removed the grills.  They ended up being broken anyway.  The good news is that replacements are available at the dealership for just about $20 bucks each.  The factory speakers are 10 ohms. 


I placed some Ensolite into the speaker hole over the AC vent tubing to act as a sound deadener.  I didn't use too much: Only about a 6" x 6" section.

The speakers come with an adapter plate to use with an existing 4" x 6" installation.  In order to use them I had to grind off a small plastic tab that is used to fit the OEM speakers properly.  A few seconds with a scotch-brite pad on my die grinder did the trick.

Ground off the tab, just to the right of the nut.  You can also see the ensolite in the speaker hole.

I mounted the adapter plate and installed the speakers with the provided hardware.  Crutchfield also supplied a wiring harness for use with the OEM connector.



The speaker comes with four mounting points, but only two are needed.  The unused tabs are designed to be removed and that is what I did.


Since the adapter plate is about 3/16" think, I had to remove some material from the speaker grill in order to maintain proper fit and finish.  I practiced on the original grills to figure out how much needed to be removed.  Then did the finish work on the new GM grills.  Once again, the scotch-brite/die-grinder combo was very effective.

Ground off about 3/16" from the grill mounting points in order to get proper fit and finish

Installed the new grills and it looks as good as new.  We will need to wait a while for how it sounds as the truck is still in a thousand pieces.




No comments:

Post a Comment