Sunday, March 29, 2015

Finishing the brakes/rear axle

I removed the seal and bearing on the driver side of the rear axle.  I definitely hosed it up with the pounding.  Nevertheless, I replaced it with the correct one (National 5707), which shows as fitting the 7.625, but fits the 8.5 as well.  The axle slid right in and got to work on installing the brakes.  I pulled the C5 Z06 Corvette calipers out of the boxes and they look awesome! The kit was missing the caliper to abutment bracket bolts, so I installed some standard hardware and left them loose until I can get the correct ones.



I installed the c-clips and components to hold the axles in place and bolted-on the rear end cover.  25 ft-lbs of torque for the cover bolts.  Interestingly, 5 ft-lbs for the bearing support bolts and 10 ft-lbs for the nuts.



I then installed the passenger side brakes without any issues.  



Here is the entire view.  Did I mention that these brakes are huge?


No comments:

Post a Comment